Below is a list of some of the services available which offer support, information and help. All services are free, and are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week unless otherwise stated.
For counselling and support
- Lifeline – 0800 543 354
(for counselling and support).
- Depression Helpline – 0800 111 757
(to talk to a trained counsellor about how you are feeling or to ask any questions).
- Tautoko Suicide Crisis Helpline – 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO)
(for people in distress, and people who are worried about someone else).
- Healthline – 0800 611 116
(for advice from trained registered nurses).
- Samaritans – 0800 726 666
(for confidential support to anyone who is lonely or in emotional distress).
- depression.org.nz – includes The Journal free online self-help tool.
For children and young people
- Youthline – 0800 376 633, free text 234 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
(for young people, and their parents, whānau and friends).
- What’s Up – 0800 942 8787 (0800 WHATSUP)
(for 5-18 year olds; 1 pm to 11 pm).
- Kidsline – 0800 543 754 (0800 KIDSLINE)
(for young people up to 18 years of age).
- thelowdown.co.nz – support for young people experiencing depression or anxiety. Visit the website or free text 5626.
- Aunty Dee – a free online tool for anyone who needs some help working through problems.
- sparx.org.nz – an online self-help tool that teaches young people the key skills needed to help combat depression and anxiety.
For help with specific issues
- OUTLine NZ – 0800 688 5463 (0800 OUTLINE)
(for sexuality or gender identity issues; 10am-9pm M-F, and 6pm-8pm S-S).
- Alcohol Drug Helpline – 0800 787 797, free text 8681 or online chat at www.alcoholdrughelp.org.nz
(for people dealing with alcohol or other drug problems)
- Women’s Refuge Crisisline – 0800 733 843 (0800 REFUGE)
(for women living with violence, or in fear, in their relationship or family)
- Shakti Crisis Line – 0800 742 584 (0800 SHAKTI)
(for migrant or refugee women living with family violence)
- Rape Crisis – 0800 883 300
(for support after rape or sexual assault)
- PlunketLine – 0800 933 922
(support for new parents, including mothers experiencing post-natal depression)
For families, whānau, friends and supporters
- Skylight – 0800 299 100
(for support through trauma, loss and grief; 9am-5pm weekdays)
- Supporting Families In Mental Illness – 0800 732 825
(for families and whānau supporting a loved one who has a mental illness)
- Le Va – a href=”http://www.leva.co.nz/”>leva.co.nz – www.facebook.com/LeVaPasifika
(information and support for Pasifika families through the FLO suicide prevention programme)
- Common Ground – a central hub providing parents, family, whānau and friends with access to information, tools and support to help a young person who’s struggling.
- Mental Health Foundation – for more information about supporting someone in distress, looking after your mental health and working towards recovery.