If a New Zealander dies overseas

If a New Zealander dies by suicide while they are overseas, New Zealand Embassies overseas and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade can assist you. For example, they can advise whether burial or cremation are possible, and how to find a local funeral director. They can also advise you on getting the body or ashes back to New Zealand.

They can also advise on what official processes are required by law. In some countries, a post-mortem or autopsy is legally required.

When remains or ashes are being returned to NZ, the family will need to engage a funeral director in New Zealand and a funeral director in the country where the death occurred, to work together on what must be arranged.

Safetravel and the Funeral Directors Association of New Zealand (FDANZ) have more information about overseas deaths.