Organisations that can help

Victim Support can be contacted on their 24/7 line, 0800 842 846. They will support you in the first days after the suicide and can give you local knowledge of others who may help.

Skylight is a national agency that supports children, young people and their families and whānau who are facing loss and grief. Call 0800 299 100. Skylight can post you a personalised pack of supportive information which is made for you.

Mental Health Foundation – for more information about supporting someone in distress, looking after your mental health and working towards recovery.

The Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) may know about support groups and grief programmes in your area. To contact CAB, call 0800 FOR CAB (0800 367 222) or visit the CAB website

Other agencies or groups to contact may include:

  • local family and community support agencies

  • churches or faith groups

  • marae

  • cultural centres

  • community centres, community workers

  • a counsellor, school guidance counsellor or counselling agency

  • social workers

  • your doctor, community health centre, or primary health organisation

  • community mental health team or hauora Māori mental health team

For contact details, check your local community directory or notice boards, the Family Services Directory, or contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Workplace support programmes may be available in your workplace. Ask your employer.

Budgeting services can help you budget and manage your money. Ask your local Citizens Advice Bureau for a contactor go to the Family Budgeting website.